Kolkata: A government employee from Manickchawk block in Malda was arrested on Saturday for his alleged role in misappropriating funds which were channelised for the government schemes.The incident has already triggered a furor in the district. The misappropriation had allegedly been carried out by the accused when he was posted at Ratua block of the same district. It may be mentioned here that a Trinamool Congress leader from Malda’s Ratua was arrested on Wednesday for receiving cut money. It had been alleged that the arrested officer might have worked in collusion with the Trinamool Congress leader, who used to serve as Panchayat head at the time of the incident. It was alleged that the accused government employee has misappropriated huge amounts of funds. Also Read – City bids adieu to Goddess DurgaPolice in various districts have acted promptly after Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee issued an instruction saying that none of her party workers will be spared if they have grabbed public money. Giving a strong message against the age-old practice of receiving cut money from government funds, Banerjee, during a recent meeting with councilors, said that if any party leader in any level is found siphoning off money generated for the development works, stringent action would be taken against him/her. Also Read – Centuries-old Durga Pujas continue to be hit among revellersThe accused Trinamool Congress leader, Sukesh Yadav, also allegedly received huge amounts as cut money. He had been the head of Mahanandatola Gram Panchayat in Ratua. It has been learnt that Yadav was accused of taking money from the funds allocated for Nirmal Bangla Mission, under which the arrested government employee had been working. Chaos also erupted at Mangolkot in East Burdwan on Sunday, after some people alleged that some local Trinamool Congress activists had taken money against some assurances to set up houses for them. A meeting had taken place, where the accused TMC activists put the blame on a local party leader who eventually denied the allegation during his interview with a local television channel later.
Updated 10.50pmISRAELI PRIME MINISTER Benjamin Netanyahu late this evening cancelled plans to build 20,000 new settler homes in the West Bank, after US and Palestinian criticism of the project.Netanyahu ordered the Israeli housing minister Uri Ariel “to reconsider all of the steps for evaluating planning potential (of the settler homes) that he distributed without any advance coordination”, a statement from his office said.Netanyahu told Ariel the plan was:An action that creates an unnecessary confrontation with the international community at a time when we are making an effort to persuade elements in the international community to reach a better deal with Iran.The announcement was made after Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas warned the construction plans, announced earlier by Israel, would prompt him to declare the peace process over if they went ahead.Washington had also expressed “deep concern” over the plans. “We are deeply concerned by this latest report,” said US State Department spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki. “We were surprised by this announcement and are currently seeking further explanation from the government of Israel.”Psaki emphasized that Washington had not been briefed in advance by Israel about the settlement plan.She repeated the long-standing US diplomatic position on settlements – a position reaffirmed last week during Secretary of State John Kerry’s visit to the Mideast – that “we do not accept the legitimacy of continued settlement activity.”Psaki said the United States has “called on both sides to take steps to create a positive atmosphere for the negotiations,” which, with Kerry’s mediation, re-launched in July.During his visit to the Mideast last week, Kerry rejected statements from Israeli leaders that the settlement announcements were in keeping with tacit “understandings” between the two sides linked to the release of 52 veteran Palestinian prisoners since August.- © AFP 2013.Explainer: What do the Israeli-Palestinian peace talks mean?>Read: Palestinians say there’s only one suspect in Arafat death>
A GROUP OF TDs and Senators gathered in the Shelbourne Hotel last night.Nothing new there, you might think. However last night was different. Very different.The politicians had come together to host a charity fashion show in aid of Motor Neuron Disease. The results were spectacular.Michelle Mulherin’s massive hat, Richard Bruton’s strut and Eamon Coughlan’s sexy golfer pose are just some of the highlights.