Parking lot fracasIn regard to the recent fiasco involving Junior Natural Resources Minister Simona Broomes, her driver and two security guards at a popular establishment earlier in the month, the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) on Friday said no charges will be instituted.The DPP returned the file to the Police on Friday with a recommendation that no charges be laid against the parties involved. The Police, in a release, said that after reviewing the footage and statements taken, the DPP made her decision.“Please be informed that the file was completed and sent for legal advice, which was obtained to the effect that based on all the statements and video footage, no charges are advised,” the statement said.It was initially reported on July 9 that two security officers attached to the Massy Store at Providence, East Bank Demerara (EBD) were in hot water after one of them had allegedly pointed a shotgun at the Minister.Reports indicate that the Minister’s driver had stopped at the entrance of the store to access the New Thriving Restaurant which is housed in the upper flat of the building. While there, two security guards approached them, and the confrontation ensued.However, CCTV footage made public has shown a scenario very different from that reported by the minister. In the footage made public, the minister’s driver is seen turning her vehicle into the parking lot where the incident occurred, and stopping a little distance from the Massy supermarket. He exited the vehicle and removed a ‘no parking’ sign. One of the security guards noticed his actions and ventured to the vehicle, replacing the sign which was removed. The minister’s driver exited the vehicle once more, and there followed a heated exchange between him and the security.Minister Broomes then exited the vehicle and pushed two of the ‘no parking signs’ to the ground as she confronted the security.The Minister had reported to the Police a matter contrary to what had actually occurred, and two security officers were arrested and detained for some 16 hours following the incident. They were later released on their own recognisance.Following the incident, Broomes refused to issue an apology, and when questioned by media operatives about the incident, stated, “I don’t know what you are talking about”.Her colleague, Public Health Minister Volda Lawrence, subsequently met with the guards and offered an apology.
His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales officially opened The Prince’s Trust’s new Cardiff centre as part of his week-long visit to Wales last week.During the visit, The Prince of Wales met staff, volunteers and young people taking part in a variety of initiatives, including the Enterprise programme, which supports disadvantaged young people into entrepreneurship.The Prince of Wales addressed young people, staff, volunteers and supporters of The Prince’s Trust, stating: “I hope some of you here today are beginning to benefit in a small way and I am also incredibly proud of the difference the Trust can make to so many lives.”One of the young people who met the Prince was 27-year-old Sarah Hillier from Pontypool, who is about to launch a custom-made teddy business with support from The Prince’s Trust. The young mum presented The Prince of Wales with a custom-made bear created especially for his soon-to-be-born grandchild.Sarah decided she wanted to run her own business after running a successful cafeteria at her partner’s workplace. She had to leave when her husband was made redundant and she found herself unemployed. She looked into opening a cafe business in her native Pontypool but initial market research showed there was too much competition in the area.Her entrepreneurial spirit meant that Sarah was determined to find an idea that would work, and one day her nine-year-old daughter gave her just that – custom made teddy bears.Sarah approached The Prince’s Trust for support and attended a four day Explore Enterprise course, learning about all aspects of starting and running a business.Working hard to source quality suppliers after she received a small grant from The Trust to test her business, Sarah took out space in Pontypool market and to her delight, sold all her products immediately.Sarah’s full business will be launching soon, based in Pontypool market and she is excited about the future, saying: “The Prince’s Trust Enterprise programme has been fantastic. I learned so much about setting up a business from them, and without their support I would not be where I am. I have worked hard and I am confident about my business, knowing I will have the support I need.”Describing the teddy bear she created for the royal baby, Sarah said: “The bear is one of my favourite designs and I have chosen a soldier’s outfit for it. I just hope this little bear is fit for a Prince… or a Princess!”His Royal Highness also chatted to young people who are taking part in The Prince’s Trust Fairbridge programme in Cardiff, which supports young people aged 13 – 25 who are struggling, and provides personal development through one-to-one support and group activities.Source:Prince’s Trust
Kolkata: In the newly-formed district Jhargram, which is going for the three-tier Panchayat elections for the first time, the Opposition parties have fielded their candidates in the Gram Panchayat, Panchayat Samity and Zilla Parishad in huge numbers. The turnout of the Opposition candidates who have filed nominations peacefully demolishes the claims of the leaders of the other parties, mainly BJP, that their candidates were prevented from filing their nominations. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsGoing by the numbers, it clearly shows that the Opposition parties had not been prevented from filing nominations or else it would not have been possible for them to field candidates in all the seats.In Jhargram, there are 806 seats in the Gram Panchayat, the lowest in the three-tier Panchayat system. The BJP has fielded 942 candidates while the CPI(M) and Congress have fielded 194 and 26 candidates respectively. The others and Independent have fielded 23 and 190 candidates. The Trinamool Congress has fielded 1,228 candidates. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Merc, 2 B’deshi bystanders killedIn the Panchayat Samity, there are around 187 seats. BJP, CPI(M) and Congress have nominated 230,78 and 10 candidates. The Independent and others have fielded 44 and 9 candidates respectively. The Trinamool Congress has nominated 368 candidates in the Panchayat Samity. In the Zilla Parishad, there are 16 seats. The BJP, CPI(M) and Congress have fielded 19, 16 and 8 candidates while the Independent and others have fielded 5 candidates each. The TMC has fielded around 22 candidates. The statistics clearly show that there has been a massive erosion of voters for the CPI(M) and Congress. CPI(M) used to run a parallel administration there when Jhargram was part of West Midnapore district. During the Maoist movement, both education and economy of Jhargram had been badly hit. After coming to power in 2011, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee visited the area several times to win back the confidence of the people. The statistics show that the BJP is coming up as the second power in Jhargram. However, the collective strength of the Opposition parties is less than the TMC in fielding candidates.
Kolkata: At least 19 fishermen have gone missing after three trawlers capsized in the sea off Frazerganj Harbour in South 24-Parganas, late on Monday night.Sunderban Superintendent of Police Tathagata Basu said a hovercraft and an airplane have been pressed into service to look for the missing persons.Bijan Maity, the secretary of West Bengal United Fishermen Association, informed that the fishermen who had gone for fishing in the deep sea and went missing, hailed from Kakdwip and Frazerganj. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal life”Although many trawlers could return to safety, three boats – MV Malleshwar, MV Joykishan and MV Maa Shibani capsized in the sea. 10 fishermen of MV Joykishan and six of MV Malleshwar went missing, while three fishermen who were flung into the sea from different trawlers are also in the missing list,” Maity said.Ten trawlers belonging to the Samity immediately started a rescue operation but failed to trace anybody. The Coast Guard has also started a rescue operation on Tuesday, in coordination with the state Disaster Management department.The fishermen had set sail into the Bay of Bengal around 10 am on Monday. They had claimed that there was no warning of the Weather department on radio.It was around 4 pm when the weather turned rough and huge waves, accompanied with gusty winds, overturned the three trawlers in the sea.The Met office website, however, shows that the fishermen had been advised against venturing into the sea on Monday.