上海千花网

Suspect in custody for Brooklyn street festival shooting that killed one, injured 11

first_imgABC News(NEW YORK) — Three months after gunfire shattered a neighborhood block party, killing one person and injuring 11 in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn, New York, police say they have a suspect in custody.Brooklyn resident Kyle Williams, 20, was charged Wednesday with murder, attempted murder, criminal possession of a weapon and reckless endangerment in connection with the shooting, which took place during the neighborhood’s annual Old Timers Day event at Brownsville Playground on July 27.The incident, which police at the time said may have been gang related, left the neighborhood badly shaken. The shots may have been an exchange of gunfire between two or more suspects, authorities said.“One of the worst experiences of my life,” tweeted New York City Council Member Alicka Samuel, who co-sponsored the event with Council Member Inez Barron and was there when the shooting took place. “How does such a beautiful and peaceful event become overshadowed by tragedy in seconds? We have to do more.”Jason Pagan, 38, was struck by gunfire in the head and pronounced dead at a local hospital, according to the New York Police Department. Eleven other people — six men and five women — were shot and transported to the hospital for treatment, one in critical condition. The victims ranged in age from 25 to 55 years old, police said.The shooting took place just before 11 p.m., as the crowd of about 2,000 was winding down the festivities.The Old Timers event, which dates back to 1963, is a week-long festival that includes food booths, musical performances, and a fashion and talent show.Although regarded as one of Brooklyn’s more dangerous neighborhoods, Brownsville had hosted the annual event for 55 years without incident.Mayor Bill de Blasio, in a news conference on the day after the shooting, called the event “an example of everything good about Brownsville.” Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Top news of the week October 15-20

first_imgElba Island LNG (Image courtesy of Kinder Morgan)WoodMac expects 2019 to be LNG FID yearThe year 2019 could be a major one for final investment decisions (FID) on new liquefied natural gas projects, according to the research and consultancy group Wood Mackenzie.US Elba Island LNG export project pushed back againUS energy company Kinder Morgan said on Wednesday that the start-up of its Elba Island liquefied natural gas (LNG) export project near Savannah, Georgia had been pushed back, again.Saipem nets Tortue LNG workItalian oil and gas contractor, Saipem has reportedly snagged a deal to provide FEED services for Tortue LNG facility offshore Africa.Report: ExxonMobil inks 20-year China LNG supply dealUS energy giant ExxonMobil has reportedly signed a framework agreement to supply liquefied natural gas (LNG) to China’s Zhejiang Provincial Energy Group.FERC issues EIS for NextDecade’s Rio Grande LNGNextDecade Corporation said it has been granted a Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) draft environmental impact statement (EIS) for its Rio Grande LNG project in South Texas. LNG World News Stafflast_img read more

Beat writers split on No. 11 Syracuse upsetting No. 3 Michigan State and playing on to the Sweet 16

first_imgNo. 11 Syracuse (22-13, 8-10 Atlantic Coast) faces off with No. 3 seed Michigan State (30-4, 16-2 Big 10) on Sunday at 2:40 p.m. at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit. The Orange most recently smothered TCU, 57-52 and was led by Marek Dolezaj’s 17 points. Michigan State fended off a pesky Bucknell team behind sophomore wing Miles Bridges’ second-half explosion and 29 points.See what our beat writers think of the matchup.Matthew Gutierrez (28-7)So so sweetSyracuse 58, Michigan State 57The arena on Sunday will be packed, mostly of fans in green and white. Stopping Miles Bridges, who scored 29 points Friday night, won’t be easy. MSU has some big bodies inside. But Syracuse’s defense has been as stiff and tough as it’s been all year long. Given how well SU played Friday, even with Tyus Battle and Frank Howard held in check, look out for a Syracuse upset against the Spartans. SU marches on to Omaha.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSam Fortier (24-11)Why not?Syracuse 61, Michigan State 60Jim Boeheim vanquished Jamie Dixon and now Syracuse finds itself in another long-odds situation. This, strangely, seems exactly where the Orange is most comfortable. This team skirted past TCU without its Big 3 firing on all cylinders, which was unlikely, but Syracuse has ignored logic all season. Now, SU has the chance to come back and beat Michigan State after Middle Tennessee State denied SU the opportunity two years ago. It’s too early to compare this postseason run to that one, but if the Orange bullies by the Spartans, those whispers will get louder.Tomer Langer (24-11)ChalkMichigan State 63, Syracuse 59My picks don’t matter anymore. Syracuse has been the underdog in its last two games after narrowly making the NCAA Tournament and won both. On Friday night, No. 1 overall seed Virginia — the team that lost just twice all year, that set the ACC record for wins in a season, that had the best defense in the country — lost to No. 16 seed UMBC, the first time a one seed has lost its first games. Nothing makes sense. Take every pick in this Tournament, from here on out, with a grain of salt. I want to pick Syracuse to win because this team has seemingly taken on a new identity in March. In the end, MSU is by far the toughest of the three opponents it’ll have faced so far in the Tournament, and so I’ll go with the Spartans. Comments Published on March 17, 2018 at 1:16 pm Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Ella Ann-Marie Leonard, 3 months, Wichita: May, 31, 2016 – Aug. 31, 2016

first_imgElla AnnMarie LeonardAfter three short months in our world, Ella Ann-Marie Leonard died in her mother’s arms on Wednesday, August 31, 2016. She was born on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 10 a.m., weighed 6 pounds, 8 ounces and was 18 inches long. She was eagerly welcomed by her loving mother, Melissa Nicole Leonard. Although she was little in size, Ella made an enormous impact in the lives of those who knew her.She leaves behind her mother, Melissa Leonard of Wichita; father, Kyle Sanderson of Wichita; her brother and sister, Blake and Brianna Burris; grandparents, Kathleen and Dale Havens of Wichita and Pamela and Marty Dobson of Derby, Kansas. She was also loved by her aunt, Carrie Howard of Belle Plaine, and godfather, Larry Cox of Udall.A visitation will be held at the funeral home from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Friday, September 2, 2016. Funeral services for Ella will begin at 11 a.m., Saturday, September 3, 2016 in the chapel of Cornejo | Day Funeral Home, Wellington.Interment will follow at Prairie Lawn Cemetery, Wellington.Those wishing to help the family can make contributions to the Ella Leonard Funeral Fund established with the funeral home. Please visit www.cornejodayfuneralhome.com to make a contribution, share a memory or leave condolences.Arrangements are by Cornejo|Day Funeral Home & Crematory, 1030 Mission Road, Wellington.last_img read more

Starry birthday bash for king of romance

first_imgSaturday night saw a gala ‘ party with Karan’, as Bollywood director- producer Karan Johar threw a star- studded bash to ring in his 42nd birthday in Mumbai.Alia Bhatt and Sonam Kapoor looked stunning at the birthday bash.Hosted at his residence, cinema’s biggies were in full attendance, adding to the excitement of the celebration. Celebrities posed for the paparazzi as they entered the building. On the occasion, many ‘ new’ friends and faces pose at the ‘ it’ party of the season.Surprisingly, old time pals Shahrukh Khan and wife Gauri were missing from the do, possibly due to the growing rift over actor Salman Khan warming up to KJo over the recent past.Bipasha Basu poses with boyfriend Harman Baweja.Meanwhile, Koffee with Karan season 4 guests Aamir Khan and wife Kiran Rao were spotted entering the party hand- in- hand. While Khan stuck to his typical style of a T- shirt with jeans, sneakers and Chaplin hat, Rao sported a silver dress.Other couples to join the fanfare included Riteish Deshmukh and Genelia D’Souza, Sonali Bendre and Goldie Behl, and Bipasha Basu and Harman Baweja. While Vidya Balan and Siddharth Roy Kapur’s doting entrance quelled rumours of tension brewing between them, the relationship- status of actor Kunal Kapoor and Naina, neice of Big B.last_img read more

10 months agoBrother of AC Milan signing Lucas Paqueta trialling with Monza

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Brother of AC Milan signing Lucas Paqueta trialling with Monzaby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAC Milan signing Lucas Paqueta has been joined by brother Matheus in Italy.MilanNews reports Matheus is trialling with Silvio Berlusconi’s Monza.The Brazilian is training with Monza, who are currently 12th in the Serie C Girone B table.The club is situation very close to Milan, so the two brothers will be able to live nearby.Matheus currently plays for Brazilian second division side Avai. last_img

9 months agoMan City edge ahead of Chelsea for Barcelona youngster Ilaix Moriba – this week

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man City edge ahead of Chelsea for Barcelona youngster Ilaix Moriba – this weekby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveHighly-rated Barcelona youngster Ilaix Moriba is on the brink of signing for Manchester City.Sport says City could sign Ilaix after Saturday, when the exciting prospect turns 16.Moriba is considered one of the most promising talents to come out of the famous La Masia academy for years, and Barcelona have offered him a contract higher than what they normally offer players of his age.But the report says that deal is still not close to what City can offer, with Juventus and Chelsea also trying to secure his services.City reportedly feel they are in pole position to sign the midfielder. last_img read more

Government announces renewed focus in crusade against invasive species

first_imgVICTORIA, B.C. — The B.C. government and the Invasive Species Council of B.C. have released an updated five-year strategic plan to combat invasive species, while the government also proclaimed May 2018 as Invasive Species Action Month.Invasive species are plants or animals that are not native to this province, or are outside of their natural distribution areas. Invasive plants, for example, can reduce biodiversity, increase soil erosion, alter soil chemistry and adversely affect commercial crops. Some may pose a health risk to animals and people.“Once invasive species become established, they can spread rapidly, and seriously disrupt B.C.’s ecosystems if left unchecked,” said Doug Donaldson, Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development. “The close partnerships that our government has developed with the Invasive Species Council of B.C., regional invasive species organizations and several local governments have gone a long way toward managing these harmful species.” The Invasive Plant Program identifies sites where new invasive plant species have been found and responds quickly to contain and eradicate them before they become established and start spreading.The Invasive Species Strategy for British Columbia 2018-2022 includes recommendations for the management of problem species, habitat restoration, monitoring programs, regulation and policy, funding and research.“The updated Invasive Species Strategy for British Columbia demonstrates our ongoing commitment to contain the spread of invasive species in this province,” said George Heyman, Minister of Environment and Climate Change Strategy. “Proclaiming May 2018 as Invasive Species Action Month will help raise awareness of how these species can affect both urban and rural environments.”Members of the public can report sightings of invasive plant species anywhere in B.C. by using the Report-A-Weed or Report Invasives BC smartphone apps, by calling 1 888-WEEDSBC (1 888 933-3722), or by using the online reporting tool available at: http://www.gov.bc.ca/invasive-species.last_img read more

Deshaun Thomas takes preseason AllAmerican honor

All eyes are on Ohio State junior forward Deshaun Thomas. Thomas, who elected to stay with the Buckeyes after former OSU forward Jared Sullinger declared for the 2012 NBA Draft, was named a preseason All-American by Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook Wednesday. A second team All-Big Ten selection and a starter in each of OSU’s 39 games during the 2011-12 season, Thomas averaged 16 points per game on 52 percent shooting. Thomas caught fire in the 2012 NCAA Tournament, leading the Buckeyes in scoring with 19 points per game on their way to the Final Four. His postseason performance prompted some to question whether he’d stay at OSU for his junior season. OSU coach Thad Matta collected information about Thomas’ draft stock from NBA teams. Instead of leaving for the professional ranks, Thomas will remain as one of four upperclassmen on the 2012-13 Buckeyes. Junior guards Lenzelle Smith Jr. and Aaron Craft and senior forward Evan Ravenel will join Thomas as team elders. Jared Sullinger’s father, Satch Sullinger, tweeted about Thomas Wednesday, from his Twitter account, @satchsullinger: “Now DT gets all the opponents attention. Like Tupac; All Eyes On You!!!!” Thomas helped lead last season’s OSU squad to a 31-8 record. The Buckeyes lost their March 31 national semifinal game against Kansas, 64-62, at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans. OSU is scheduled to open the 2012 season Nov. 9 against Marquette in the Carrier Classic, which will be played on the museum ship the USS Yorktown in Mt. Pleasant, S.C. read more