Manchester City youngster Jason Denayer Manchester City youngster Jason Denayer has agreed to join Marseille, according to reports in France.The defender had been tipped for a role in the first-team squad this season after impressing on loan at Celtic last year.However, City’s £32m move for Nicolas Otamendi has forced the Belgian to reconsider and he’s not set to leave.Marseille, according to L’Equipe, have agreed personal terms with the player and it is now up for the two clubs to discuss a fee.Talks are scheduled to take place over the weekend with both parties keen to tie up a deal quickly. 1
Dimitri Payet celebrates scoring for West Ham against Newcastle 1 Slaven Bilic hailed Dimitri Payet after he fired West Ham to a first home win of the season.The Frenchman, a £10.5million arrivial from Marseille in the summer, scored both goals as the Hammers beat Newcastle 2-0 on Monday evening.He struck a sublime opener after just nine minutes, when Mark Noble collected Diafra Sakho’s backheel in the penalty area and laid the ball back for the midfielder to coolly sidefoot a curling effort into the top corner.Three minutes into the second half Payet wrapped up the win when he followed up after Victor Moses’ shot crashed against the crossbar.“It’s small proof that we really did well in the transfer window. Payet is a player I wanted from the start,” said Hammers boss Bilic.“I’ve known him for a long time, he is one of those players who is not only a great player who scores goals and makes goals, but he also makes the players around him play better.”The Hammers’ first home win of the season lifted them up to fifth but Bilic added: “I didn’t set targets in terms of finishing in the top 10.“Our target is that we want a good team that can defend with numbers and can attack with numbers, a team who can keep the ball.“If we succeed in that that should give us more points. But I don’t know if we will be fifth, or 15th.”It all added up to another miserable evening for Newcastle boss Steve McClaren at the hands of Bilic.The night did not start well after they arrived late at the stadium having had to walk the last mile of the journey due to the heavy traffic.They even asked for the kick-off to be put back in order to give them time to warm up sufficiently, but to no avail.“We can make excuses and say the preparation wasn’t ideal, but it’s no excuse,” said McClaren, who lost his job as England boss eight years ago after a Wembley defeat to Bilic’s Croatia.“We felt the preparation wasn’t long enough and asked the referee to put it back.“But we didn’t do tonight what we have done for the previous four games in terms of organisation, discipline and being hard to beat, we lacked that.“It’s a learning process, and we’ve learned a lot tonight. You don’t like going through nights like tonight, it’s painful, but sometimes you have to.”
Iago Aspas has gone down in infamy as one of the worst Liverpool players in recent times, but they think differently of him at Celta Vigo.CHECK OUT THE WORST LIVERPOOL SIGNINGS BY BRENDAN RODGERSSigned by Brendan Rodgers for a £7m fee in 2013, Aspas is now back in Spain plying his trade with Celta.Earlier this season Aspas netted twice against Barcelona for Celta, and this weekend he scored a beautiful goal to hand his team a 1-0 win against the odds.With just 10 men Celta managed to see off Espanyol by a single Aspas goal, putting them two points off third-placed Real Madrid. Iago Aspas: Celta Superman 1
1 Ross Barkley and Romelu Lukaku Everton manager Roberto Martinez is adamant none of his key players will be allowed to leave this month, despite new speculation about the futures of Romelu Lukaku, Ross Barkley and John Stones.Lukaku, their 19-goal top scorer, is set to make his 100th start for the club in Sunday’s visit of Swansea but there were claims this week the Toffees had put a £65million price tag on his head.Similarly, Chelsea have been linked with another move for England centre-back Stones, whom they failed to sign in the summer after having a £38million bid rejected, while Manchester City have reportedly identified midfielder Barkley as a replacement for Yaya Toure.Everton successfully fended off all transfer interest in the summer and Martinez insists they will do the same for the remainder of this window.“None of our players who have been performing well…are going to leave in January. That is the end of the matter,” he stressed.“January is not a window where we are going to bring any instability to our squad.“Any talk about players getting evaluations or leaving the club is a waste of time.”When it was suggested to the Catalan that every player has his price he responded: “Not in January.“We are not going to even consider losing a member of our squad who has been important and will be important for second half of the season.”Lukaku has scored 55 goals in 108 appearances for the club and has 12 in his last 12 matches.Any decision to cash in would be controversial and, despite the continued speculation about Europe’s bigger clubs circling, Martinez believes they can keep hold of the Belgium international even though he has expressed his desire on more than one occasion to play Champions League football.“It [Lukaku’s ambition] goes hand-in-hand because at Everton we want to play Champions League football, so it is good to have a shared target,” added Martinez.“He wants to score goals and become better. It has been a fantastic journey in the last 13 months.“You have seen an evolution in his play which has been quite magnificent. He is a special footballer for us.“He is on the verge of getting 100 starts for Everton in all competitions and that is an incredible landmark for a 22-year-old.”More than anything that is because he is reliable, he has been consistently there and he is a focal point for us all.“I am looking for him to become even better as a player and carry on with the big role he has in the team.“Speculation is all positive. You don’t get that sort of reaction if you are not playing well.”
But it is Gen. James T. Conway’s ban on the wearing of camouflage uniforms, or “cammies,” off base that is getting the most attention, changing not only the appearance of the Marines but also the look of their communities. Under the new regulation, Marines in camouflage cannot get out of their vehicles to run an errand or grab a meal on their way to or from the base. No pumping gas, running into the post office or picking up a cup of joe, either. Although Marines were always largely prohibited from wearing uniforms off base, they were allowed to make brief stops during their commutes. Now they can stop only for a medical emergency, a traffic accident or a breakdown. Around Oceanside, where Marines from neighboring Camp Pendleton are a common sight, the most noticeable effect is at fast food drive-throughs. Long lines are forming because Marines in uniform are not allowed to get out of their cars and go inside. Marines caught in uniform off base can get a warning; for repeat offenses, they can be restricted to their barracks and their pay can be docked. MILITARY: A recent edict against combat uniforms off base has towns trying to accommodate personnel. By Chelsea J. Carter THE ASSOCIATED PRESS OCEANSIDE – The Marine Corps commandant earlier this year updated the regulations on what Marines can and cannot wear, on duty and off, in the United States. Among the fashion don’ts: No shiny metal or gems on your teeth, no designs carved in your hair, no flashy jewelry and no bare midriffs or excessive cleavage. While the military has always had strict guidelines for what service members can wear, even out of uniform, Conway said the updated regulations are about maintaining Marine “uniformity and pride in appearance.” “It wasn’t that Marines were blatantly breaking the rules. It was more of a tradition, and we just needed to get it back in the box, put it in writing and say here’s the policy, here’s the rules,” said Staff Sgt. Jesse Lora, a spokesman at Camp Pendleton. Earlier this year, the Marines banned extra-large tattoos below the elbow or the knee, saying such body art is harmful to the Corps’ spit-and-polish image. Some businesses are getting creative to cope with the no-cammies-off-base rule, which was issued in July. In Oceanside, the Colimas Mexican Restaurant, popular for its takeout lunch, now runs a sort of carhop service for Marines, who call in their orders and then wait in their cars for delivery out front. Andrea Cerda, who works at Dorothy’s Military Shop, a tailor shop, said it is not uncommon to see Marines changing clothes in their car, wriggling out of their pants and boots and into civilian wear. “You see them bending around their steering wheel or moving back and forth in the driver’s seat and you know what they are doing,” she said. During a quick trip recently to drop off dry cleaning in Oceanside, Lance Cpl. Nicholas Doucakis, 20, had to change clothes on base. He said the regulation didn’t bother him. “If you are a Marine, they want you to look a certain way,” he said. “I guess in a way they don’t want you to look like a disgrace to society.” Army soldiers can wear combat uniforms off base, and Navy personnel can wear some uniforms off base and off ship. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Also on Monday, Los Angeles County Health Officer Dr. Jonathan E. Fielding warned people to avoid strenuous outdoor activities due to smoke and associated fire particles in the air. “Despite significant efforts toward fire containment, air quality in some parts of the county is being adversely affected by the fires,” Fielding said. “Small air particles carrying through Los Angeles County can have adverse health effects, and will be particularly unhealthful for sensitive individuals.” Individuals at greatest risk include those with heart disease or lung diseases including emphysema, asthma and chronic lung problems. For more information about air quality related to the wildfires, go to the South Coast Air Quality Management District’s site at www.aqmd.gov or call 1-800-CUT-SMOG (288-7664). email@example.com (818) 713-3699160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Forecasters on Monday said they expect fierce Santa Ana winds fanning fires across the region to ease this afternoon, but they extended a red-flag warning through Wednesday. “We’re not out of the woods,” said David Gomberg, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service. “The conditions are coming together for the most fire danger. “It’s a combination of strong winds, high temperatures and low humidity. All these ingredients are creating a favorable condition for rapid fire growth.” While Santa Ana winds are expected to drop this afternoon to about 35 mph in Malibu, temperatures in the coastal areas are expected to climb into the 80s and 90s. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Winds also are expected to diminish in Canyon Country today, with gusts up to 40 mph, forecasters said. Temperatures in the Santa Clarita Valley are expected to reach the mid-80s today and cool into the 70s by Friday. “If we can get through the next 24 hours, … things will start to improve,” Gomberg said. “Wind is the driving factor for the fire growth. Firefighters will get a handle on the fire once the wind drops off.” Temperatures in Malibu are expected to cool down by Thursday to the 70s and 80s and will continue to cool through the weekend.
WATCH SOME FANCY FOOTWORK FROM SANTI CAZORLA’S SON 1 Character building, that’s what this is.On the Stamford Bridge pitch, Chelsea’s Eden Hazard put in some extra training ahead of Euro 2016 by shielding the ball from his young son, who tried but failed to get the ball from his dad.We’re assuming there’s going to be some kind of retrospective action for the off the ball foul, while only WhoScored.com will be able to tell us if the skill displayed in the video counts as a successful dribble. Eden Hazard was messing about with his son on the Stamford Bridge pitch Eden Hazard Destroying A Kid 😂 pic.twitter.com/2WvHhdeOPO— Mimi. (@ShamimiHarun) May 16, 2016
Carlos Tevez 1 West Ham co-chairman David Sullivan has revealed the club have failed in a bid to lure Carlos Tevez back to the club.Tevez was offered a staggering £150,000-a-week deal, plus bonuses, to become the Hammers’ highest-paid player in their history.But Sullivan says the 32-year-old demanded £250,000 per week to leave Boca Juniors and return to London.Speaking to the Daily Mirror, he said: “We tried to get Tevez but he wanted £250,000 a week. In his last year at Juventus he was great, but 250 grand a week?“He’ll probably stay where he is now, but he doesn’t pay a lot of tax down there.”Tevez spent the 2006/07 season with West Ham and secured hero status with the Hammers’ fans after helping them avoid relegation.The forward went on to enjoy spells with Manchester United, Manchester City and Juventus before moving back to his homeland and signing for Boca last summer.He has always spoken fondly of his time at West Ham, but Sullivan has questioned his affection for the club given his stunning salary demands.Sullivan said: “All this business ‘I love West Ham’. Well, it’s ‘I love West Ham if they give me 250 grand a week.’ So how much love is that for West Ham?“I actually offered him 150 grand a week to come back plus bonuses.“I thought that was an incredible offer for someone who loves West Ham. It wasn’t a publicity stunt, I saw him being our No.1 striker.“I was hoping he would reproduce what he did at Juventus a year ago. He was a fantastic player. But where do you draw the line with what you are prepared to pay?”
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Los Angeles should have “no higher priority than getting rapists and murderers off the streets,” as City Councilman Jack Weiss recently said. And he’s right. But in actuality, there are many, many higher priorities at City Hall. That’s why the city has no problem lavishing 23percent pay raises for bureaucrats, yet it can’t come up with the cash to adequately fund the DNA analysis that’s crucial to solving some of L.A.’s worst crimes – and putting away some of the city’s most heinous offenders. Currently, evidence from some 7,000 rapes and homicides – going back at least a decade – sits in a laboratory. Weiss, who wants to be city attorney, tells a chilling story of a rapist who was able to attack two additional victims – one of them a child – while authorities waited for the rape kit from his first victim to be processed. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champThat’s why Weiss is pushing for $10million in city funding to hire 22 new criminalists and four lab technicians over the next two years. The goal is to clear up the city’s massive backlog within 30 months. Getting killers and rapists off the street is not only good for the health and safety of the city, it’s also good for the bottom line, saving millions by preventing crimes before they happen. It’s unconscionable that a rare instance of City Hall penny-pinching should put lives at risk. If city leaders are serious about making public safety L.A.’s top priority, they will waste no time clearing out the city’s DNA-case backlog.
THE Rosses community is coming together again this evening with a fundraiser for local woman Charlotte McBride.Charlotte still remains ill in Beaumont Hospital but the prayers of her community and wider Donegal community are with her and her family.This evening at Casadh An tSugan there will be a 5k/10k Fun Run/Walk and a 10k/20k Cycle/ Reg. @ 6.00 Cycle starts at 7.00 with Runners, Walker, Joggers, starting at 7.15pm. All Donations WelcomeOn your return there will be refreshments, nibbles and raffles galore…Including one to win this football – signed by Bradford soccer star Carl McHugh.Pic Brid SweeneyHUGE CROWDS EXPECTED FOR CHARLOTTE McBRIDE FUNDRAISER TONIGHT was last modified: July 5th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:HUGE CROWDS EXPECTED FOR CHARLOTTE McBRIDE FUNDRAISER TONIGHT